For me, this is one of the best announcements at HP Discover, 3PAR StoreServ entering the world of ‘file’ level storage natively, removing the requirement for a StoreEasy gateway.
HP have confirmed that the following key features will work with ‘file’ level storage:
- Thin Provisioning
- Zero Detect
- Adaptive and Dynamic Optimization
- Adaptive Flash Cash (for reads)
- Synchronous & Asynchronous replication via Remote Copy
- Symantec & McAfee Anti Virus integration
- Data at Rest Encryption*
*Note this is an optional license
Within the 3PAR Dashboard is a section called ‘File Persona’ which will enable the management of file shares, virtual file servers and persona configuration.
The following features will be supported at the initial release:
- SMB 1.0, 2.0 and 3.0
- NFSv3 and v4
- Active Directory, LDAP and local user Authentication
- DFS Namespace including Microsoft MMC support
To use ‘file’ level storage an extra license is required. More on this to come when updates are released.
To support ‘file persona’ the array needs to have extra cache, these come from the ‘C’ type models. This essentially means that you need to swop out your existing controllers or purchase a new array.
More information on the ‘C’ arrays can be found over at Patrick Terlisten’s blog vCloudnine.de