A fling is an application that addresses a specific need which isn’t found within a core VMware product such as Horizon View. It has been created by a VMware employee to resolve or help with an issue.
VMware Flings are not supported so run at your own risk!
Top 3 Horizon View Flings
1. First place goes to Horizon View Event Notifier , when I was implementing a couple of small Horizon View environments, they didn’t have syslog facilities and this came to the rescue.
This tool connects to one or more existing Horizon View Event Database(s) and allows the user to customize which types of alerts to be notified on. It can be run from any Windows based system and it collects and sends the alerts via email (SMTP) to users that are specified during the configuration process. It allows aggregation of alerts across multiple Horizon View Pods and for near real-time alerting of Horizon View alerts that are otherwise very difficult to be notified on.
2. Second place goes to ViewDbChk, if you have used View, then I can almost guarantee you have had some type of provisioning error! This fling scans for these errors and allows you to choose whether to remove them from the View Database.
The ViewDbChk tool allows administrators to scan for, and fix provisioning errors that can not be addressed using View Administrator. Provisioning errors occur when there are inconsistencies between the LDAP, vCenter and View Composer databases. These can be caused by: direct editing of the vCenter inventory, restoring a backup, or a long term network problem.
3. Third place goes to XenApp2Horizon, not used this yet, but what a useful tool to save the manual migration of apps from XenApp to Horizon!
The XenApp2Horizon Fling helps you migrate published applications and desktops from XenApp to Horizon View. One XenApp farm is migrated to one or more Horizon View farm(s).
The GUI wizard-based tool helps you:
Validate the View agent status on RDS hosts (from View connection server, and XenApp server)
Validate application availability on RDS host
Migrate application/desktop to one or multiple farms (new or existing)
Migrate entitlements to new or existing applications/desktops. Combination of application entitlements are supported
Identify incompatible features and configuration
These flings take time and effort to create, most of which I would guess are done in the VMware Engineers own personal time. Therefore, i would like to thank the following people for their efforts:
- Horizon View Event Notifier by Chris Halstead @chrisdhalstead
- ViewDbChk by Griff James
- XenApp2Horizon by Nan Wang, Jack McMichael @, Ting Liu, Shengbo Teng, Luke Yue
Keep the good work up chaps!