The purpose of this blog post is to provide the steps required to perform a Site Recovery Manager unplanned failover and maintain business as usual operations. I performed these steps twice on a clients live production environment with users accessing production virtual machines at the ‘source’ site. The users noticed no impact to their daily work activities.
The pre-requisites listed below had been discussed with the client and change control invoked for the following items:
- vCenter and Site Recovery Manager would not be accessible during the unplanned failover
- vSphere Client 5.5 U2 is used to enable editing of virtual machines with hardware level 10
- Source vCenter and Site Recovery Manager ‘pinned’ to an ESXi Host using DRS Groups Manager ‘should’ rules to enable easy location of virtual machines
- Replication stopped for the production remote copy virtual volumes for the duration of the test
- Test virtual volume created and presented to ESXi Hosts using an existing Host Set
- Test virtual machine created using Mike Brown’s Tiny VM to minimise inter site link bandwith consumption. Note this doesn’t have VMware Tools installed.
- Remote Copy IP and Management Interfaces for 3PAR StoreServ had been located on upstream switch
Steps One – Isolate Storage
Isolation of the 3PAR StoreServ at the ‘source’ site by issuing ‘shutdown’ command on the Management and Remote copy IP interfaces on the upstream switch.
If RCIP traffic and Management traffic are on the same subnet, RCIP traffic will traverse Management interfaces
Verify that you can no longer ping the RCIP interfaces and that your Remote Copy Group are in a ‘Stopped’ status.
Step Two – vCenter & SRM
Connect to the ESXi Host that runs the vCenter and Site Recovery Manager virtual machines and manually disconnect their virtual NIC’s
Using the above process, we have isolated the 3PAR StoreServ, vCenter and Site Recovery Manager virtual machines. This simulates having an inter site link failure, but enables users to continue to access virtual machines at the source site.
Perform your unplanned failover on the Test Virtual Volume and then issue the ‘no shutdown’ command against your 3PAR StoreServ Remote Copy and Management interfaces. Then finally reconnect the virtual NICs on your vCenter and Site Recovery Manager virtual machines.